Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Take that

I finished my take-home exam last night for my postcolonial geography class - the one I've been moaning about! One of the questions was just begging for trouble!

Considering the evolution of Geography as a discipline, explain to what extent “knowledge produced in the West is political… to dominate others culturally, intellectually, morally and politically”.


I didn't exactly sock it to the professor, but I think I gave her something to chew on for a while. I won't post the essay, but the reference list should give you an idea of the OWN-age quotient.

Bassett, T.J. (1994) Cartography and empire-building in 19th century West Africa, The Geographical Review, 84, pp. 316-335
Brathwaite, E.K. Nation Language {from the TRC}
Carey, W. (1792) An Enquiry Into The Obligations Of Christians To Use Means For The Conversion Of The Heathens, republished by Kessinger Publishing: Whitefish, Montana (2004)
Fanon, F. (1967) Black Skin, White Masks, Grove Press: New York
Fanon, F. National Culture {from the TRC}
Johnstone, P. & Mandryk, J. (2005) Operation World, WEC Research International: Gerrard’s Cross, UK
Kipling, R. (1899) The White Man’s Burden {shown in class}
Matthew 28:19, The Bible (New International Version), Hodder & Stoughton: London
Ordnance Survey (2006) From one revolution to another [online] Available at: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/media/features/introos/index.html [accessed 9th April 2006]
Pattison, W. (1963) The Four Traditions of Geography [online] Available at: http://www.gvsu.edu/forms/geography/fourtraditions.doc [accessed 9th April 2006]
Spurgeon, C.H. (1887) The Soul Winner, republished by Eerdmans: Grand Rapids, Michigan (1963)
Young, R. (2003) Postcolonialism: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press: Oxford


Now I just have to keep my head down until tomorrow at 9pm when I will be free!

No comments: