Friday, June 30, 2006

Polska

On Sunday I'm flying to Wroclaw in south-west Poland for nearly four weeks. I'm going to be a native English-speaking teacher on three summer camps for children from the city. This will be the third time I've been, which gives me more of an idea of what to expect... not entirely a good thing! We'll be staying in a hotel/hostel in the Carpathian mountains near the Czech border (here, in fact).

See the camp website here or my pictures from 2004 and 2005 or the blog I wrote last year.


The village we stayed in in 2004. L-R Sandy, Erin, Jess, me, Lucy

Every day will consist of mostly the same things: 90 minutes of English teaching in the morning, then sports, then lunch, then another 45 minute English lesson, a Bible story/study, more sports, supper and then some evening activities. On some days we'll go out for half-day or full-day excursions in the mountains, which will be a nice break for us :)

If you're a Christian, would you please pray for me? I'll be going as part of a team of 7 foreigners, plus Rebecca our co-ordinator, who works at the Arka school in Wroclaw full-time.

Please pray:

  • for safety in travelling for us and for the kids to and from camp every week, and in the activities while we're there (last year I broke my collarbone! I've spent enough time in a Polish hospital for the time being);
  • for inspiration and wisdom as we try and teach good lessons and help the kids improve their English (this is the major attraction for parents, and they'll only send their kids back if we do a reasonable job!);
  • that we can build up relationships with the kids and other Polish staff-members (some of whom aren't Christians). As we get to know them in a short period of time pray that we'll make the time count;
  • for Rebecca, who works her socks off organising us and everyone else
  • for the Polish leaders, especially those leading the spiritual times. Pray that they will preach the Gospel faithfully;
  • that some of the kids (and maybe the adults!) will become believers (they're all "Christians" already in Poland, of course...);
  • for good weather

I think that's it for the moment! I'll have infrequent internet access while I'm over there, so I will try and update this blog every week or so.

All that remains, then, is to pack and cheer on England tomorrow! Serve your King...

PS: if you're feeling posty, then you could send me some post while I'm there! Cheers.

Ośrodek Wczasowy
Pinokio
Marianówka 3
57-512 Idzików
Poland

No comments: